Go to main website Catalogue search - Internet
Monday 26 February 2024 14:47
 
 
 
Single record details


Website page containing information on visiting us

 
Back | Display in tree view 
 
Country code GB
Repository code 234
Repository National Records of Scotland
Reference GD394
Title Edinburgh Caithness Association
Dates 1862-1985
Access status Open
Location Off site
Description The Edinburgh Caithness Association.
The records have been arranged in the following groups:
1. Edinburgh John O'Groat Benevolent Association. This was founded in January 1863 as the Edinburgh John O'Groat Association and changed its name on amalgamation with a similar body (next) in 1877. In 1923 it amalgamated with the (original) Edinburgh Caithness Association but retained its old name until 1946, when this was changed to the Edinburgh Caithness Association. The minutes relate mainly to the social and charitable activities of the Association.

2. Edinburgh Caithness Mutual Improvement and Provident Association. This was founded in August 1862 'to cultivate and maintain a friendly intercourse between natives of Caithness resident in Edinburgh and its neighbourhood, and also to raise a fund for the purpose of affording relief to any member of the Association or any from the County, who from sickness or any case of emergency, may stand in need of charitable assistance'. Its aims were very similar to those of the Edinburgh John O'Groat Association, with which it amalgamated in 1877.

3. Edinburgh Caithness Golf Club. This was formed in 1903 in connection with the Edinburgh John O'Groat Benevolent Association. It was wound up in 1954, when its records and trophies were handed over for safe-keeping to Edinburgh Caithness Association.

4. Edinburgh John O'Groat Literary Society. The society was founded in June 1922 and affiliated to the Edinburgh John O'Groat Association. Its objectives were to cultivate the literary tastes of the membership and to organise debates. It terminated in April, 1975.

The deposit does not include any records of the original Edinburgh Caithness Association. This was founded in 1837 'for establishing friendly intercourse among gentlemen of the County or those connected with the County in or near Edinburgh and for the encouragement of Education in Caithness by the award of bursaries etc.' After the 1873 Education Act its educational activities were mainly directed to the awarding of bursaries to university students. Following amalgamation in 1923 this was dealt with by the educational sub-committee of the Edinburgh John O'Groat Benevolent Association.
Level Fonds
Finding aids Inventory
Format Text
Language English
Archival history The older records of the Edinburgh Caithness Association were deposited in the Scottish Record Office on indefinite loan in April 1982. An additional deposit was received in January, 1987.
 

National Records of Scotland, H.M. General Register House, 2 Princes Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3YY; email: [email protected]