The Commission's deposited records have been arranged as follows:-
GD229/1. Minute Books, from 1779.
GD229/2. Port Registers, from 1828.
GD229/3. Indexes to Port Registers, from 1876.
GD229/4. Ledgers, from 1833.
GD229/5. Statements of account, from 1809.
GD229/6. Out-letter Books, from 1857.
GD229/7. Dock Maintenance Books, from 1828.
GD229/8. Imports, from 1907.
GD229/9. Exports, from 1907.
GD229/10. Wage and Salary Books, from 1917.
GD229/11. "Damages to Works" volumes, from 1915.
GD229/12. Newspaper Cutting Books, from 1880.
GD229/13. Miscellaneous Volumes, from 1761.
GD229/14. Miscellaneous Administrative and Correspondence Files, from 1883.
GD229/15. Miscellaneous papers, from 1827.
GD229/16. In-letters from 1862.
The harbour of Leith was administered by the town council of Edinburgh until 1826 when, in order to cope with the increasing volume of trade stimulated by Rennie's improvements, the Leith Dock Commission was created by statute. Edinburgh held a controlling interest in the new Commission but because of the city's own financial difficulties, culminating in bankruptcy in 1833, a new act was sought which would remove the financial burden of the docks from the city. The statute in 1838 (1 and 2 Victoria, cap. 55) separated the municipalities of Leith and Edinburgh, and enacted that each town council could nominate three members of the Commission, none of whom could be members of either town council. The majority nomination was to be made by the Treasury, so that control of the dock was effectively taken out of Edinburgh's hands. Subsequent legislation altered the constitution of the commissioners, although the element of municipal representation was continued.
Leith Dock Commission was superseded on 1st January 1968 by the Forth Ports Authority which was responsible for administering all port undertakings in the Forth estuary. The Authority's responsibilities were subsequently transferred to Forth Ports PLC in 1992.