At the time of the Disruption in 1843, the minister of Abbey Parish Church in Dunfermline was made a member of the Free Church Assembly, his membership however was short lived and he withdrew soon after. Despite his withdrawal a Free Church congregation was immediately organised within the district, the members consisted of Free Church adherents from the Abbey Parish Church and also a congregation of Original Seceders who had previously joined the Church of Scotland. In 1844 a church in Canmore Street was opened for the newly established Dunfermline Abbey Free Church and this building was later superseded by a new church erected in 1883-1884 on the old site. Following the 1900 union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland, Dunfermline Abbey Free Church became Dunfermline Abbey United Free Church, and after the 1929 union of the United Free Church of Scotland and the Church of Scotland the charge was renamed Dunfermline St Columba's Church of Scotland. A number of years thereafter in 1958 Dunfermline St Columba's was joined with the congregation of Dunfermline St John's, under the name of Dunfermline St Paul's and under the ministry of Rev W.S. Carr, minister of Dunfermline St John's.