Incorporated under Act of 10 August 1857.
The company was transferred to the London and North Western, Midland, Caledonian, and Glasgow and South Western Railways jointly as from 1 August 1885 under the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Act of 6 August 1885 and was managed by the Portpatrick and Wigtownshire Joint Committee (q.v.).
All the above mentioned companies were vested in the London Midland and Scottish Railway (q.v.).