Clyde Cargo Steamers Ltd. was incorporated on 19 August 1915, under the Companies Act 1908, to provide a cargo steamer service to the outlying Clyde ports.
The Company's title was changed to "The Clyde & Campbeltown Shipping Company" on 9 March 1937. The financial responsibility for this company was taken over by the British Transport Commission as from 1 October 1949 who nominated Directors to carry on its business. The company was purchased by the Caledonian Steam Packet Company Ltd. on 1 February 1951 with funds provided by the Commission. [See history of the latter company.]