Go to main website Catalogue search - Internet
Monday 1 June 2020 22:36
 
 
 
Single record details


Website page containing information on visiting us

 
Back | Display in tree view 
 
Country code GB
Repository code 234
Repository National Records of Scotland
Reference GD3
Title Papers of the Montgomerie Family, Earls of Eglinton
Dates 1363-1931
Access status Open
Location Off site
Description This collection relates to the Montgomeries, Earls of Eglinton and Winton. Although most of the collection relates to their Ayrshire properties, there is a substantial quantity of material relating to their estates in East Lothian which came into the family in 1840 through marriage with the Seton family and susequent entails.
Level Fonds
Extent 87.08 Linear Metres
Arrangement Sections are as follows:

1 Titles (mostly arranged according to Fraser's inventory);
2 Legal and financial papers;
3 Estate papers;
4 Coal and coal workings;
5 Correspondence;
6 Household and personal;
7 Testamentary;
8 Churches and schools;
9 Military and naval;
10 Public affairs;
11 Printed papers;
12 Genealogical Papers;
13 Ross of Halket;
14 Hamilton of Pencaitland;
15 Factors' Records;
16 Kenmure papers;
17 Business Interests;
18 Ardrossan Harbour;
19 Railways
Publication note Many of the documents have been published in Sir William Fraser 'The Montgomeries of Eglinton' in 2 volumes published in 1859
Format Manuscript
Language English Latin
Related material RHP Ayrshire Archives for main deposit of Rozelle material GB244/SAC/DC17
Archival history The main part of the Eglinton papers was deposited in the Scottish Record Office in 1952. It was transferred from Skelmorlie Castle, but had previously been stored in Edinburgh. There were several subsequent deposits. A copy of the National Covenant was added later that year and in the same year the Schaw Statutes (Sir William Fraser, 'Memorials', ii, no. 202) were transferred to the Grand Lodge. Writs of the Bourtreehill Estate were transferred from Messrs. Blair and Cadell in 1953. Minutes of the Earl of Eglinton's trustees 1820-1853 and the account books of the trust 1820-30 (10 volumes) were deposited by Lt. Cdr. Hamilton of Rozelle in 1954. Papers of the Montgomerie Estate (which descended to Lt. Col. Kidston-Montgomerie through a daughter of the 14th Earl) were transferred in 1955. Some Eglinton estate records were transferred to the County Planning Officer, Ayr, in 1952 and went to the SRO in 1956. They included papers relating to Ardrossan Harbour, some of which had already come in 1952. A book of Eglinton plans came from Ayr County Planning Office in 1956. A quantity of estate papers was received in 1983.
Associated persons
DS/UK/25064Montgomerie Earls of Eglinton
 

National Records of Scotland, H.M. General Register House, 2 Princes Street, Edinburgh, EH1 3YY; tel +44 (0) 131 535 1314; email: historical_enquiries@nrscotland.gov.uk