The Mining Association of Great Britain was formed in 1854. It was represented by coal owners from across the country and set up primarily to influence legislation affecting the industry. In 1919 a Royal Commission led by Sir John Sankey led to the Mining Association reorganising itself into several district coal owner associations. Their purpose was extended from a parliamentary watchdog to embrace other concerns: collection of statistics; publicity; research work. The role of the Association was reduced at the nationalisation of the coal industry in 1947 and it dissolved on 23 September 1954.